Sunday, May 26, 2013

What a week!

Bom dia!                                   May 20, 2013

What a great week! This week is what we call a power week! We found 3 new families to teach and now our teaching pool is growing. The sad thing is that only 1 of them went to church this week so thats something that we are going to have to focus on. We were able to teach almost all of our lessons with members too. That was incredible.

We also got to do another division with the assistants. This time I was with Elder Schmidt. He is the first ever missionary from Germany here in Brazil. Hes way cool and it was good to work with him again. He was my zone leader when I was in Jardim Mercurio. It was good to see the things that I need to work on to make my area better and also to help my zone more. 

We had the craziest lesson this week. I was on a different division with Elder Gomes and we were knocking doors and found a bunch of people from the north of Brazil. They were all drunk so we told them that we would come back another day but they made us go inside and teach them. While we were teaching, this guy left and then came back with a small statue of the virgin Mary. He said that if it wasnt for her, Jesus wouldnt have been born. He started to yell at us that we needed to pray to her and worship her. I told him that we wouldnt and he told me to go to h-e-double hockey sticks. He started kissing the statue and tried to make me kiss it too. He then grabbed a can of beer and tried to make me drink it. So I hit it out of his hand and said that we had to leave. I picked up my backpack and we took off. They tried to make us stay but we ended up jumping the fence and running. It was nuts. But it did make me realize how nuts some people can get when they dont have the right teachings. Its sad and we are here to help them to learn the truth.

I just want to invite all of you to pray for Pres. Monson. I cant imagine losing someone that close. I know that he has a really strong testimony but it still has to be hard. Dont forget him in your prayers.

Next Sunday I get to speak in church about the joy of serving a mission. I am so excited becuase serving a mission really is full of joy. I am so thankful for the chance that I have to be here in the mission field. I know that this really is the work of the Lord. I know that I am in the right place and that the Lord is with me. Angels really are preparing people. Sometimes those angels are us. We cant be afraid to open our mouths and say what we know is true. Even if we need to say that to someone of our own faith. We need to have the courage to stand up for what is right. In the back of the Portuguese Book of Mormon there is a dictionary thing and I really like what it says about ´missionary work´. It says that it is preaching the gospel with our words AND OUR EXAMPLE. Actions speak louder than words. So act loud.

I love you all and I hope you have a great week. This is the work of the Lord and I am soooooooooooooooooo grateful to be a part of it.

Love,
Elder Taylor

Ps, thank you so much for the camelback, sweedish fish and journal. You are the best. I love you mom! 


No comments:

Post a Comment